Frequently Asked Questions about the Post-9/11 GI Bill® Tuition Benefit

Here are answers to some frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding who is eligible and what is covered under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefit.

Can I use the Post-9/11 GI Bill® to pay to tuition?

Yes, for select programs. Please note that participants are responsible for any fees not covered by the VA, and these fees are payable upon receipt of invoice.

Examples of fees that are not allowed include, but are not limited to:

  • Penalty fees (i.e. transfer/cancellation fees, returned checks)
  • Food, lodging, transportation, and parking expenses

Please visit our Veterans’ Benefits ​page or contact Wharton Client Relations at +1.215.898.1776 or for more details.

I am eligible for GI benefits. How do I get funded?

You’ll get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), or award letter, in the mail after the VA has approved your application. Bring this to the VA certifying official at your school. This process may take up to 30 days.

What documentation is needed to certify my enrollment with the VA?

You will be asked to provide your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) dated within the last 12 months. For non-active duty members, you will also be required to provide your DD214.

Can I provide my Statement of Benefits?

Yes; however, your enrollment cannot be certified until your COE has been provided, which may delay your start into a program.

How much funding can a veteran receive?

The national maximum is $26,381.37 for this academic year; however, it will depend on your years of service. Your amount of funding is determined by the VA.

What’s covered under my VA benefit?

The VA will pay a percentage of your instruction only. This percentage is based on your eligibility.

Will I have any out-of-pocket expenses?

Yes, all applicants are responsible for costs not related to tuition and fees, and any costs not covered under your benefit.

How can I determine my eligibility and find more information on VA Benefits?

Visit the VA’s website to learn more and to find more information about funding your education.

Can I get a breakdown of how my GI Bill® and Yellow Ribbon Benefit will be applied to my Wharton course?

Yes, we can provide you with a breakdown of how your benefit will be applied. This breakdown can be made available to you prior to enrolling in your Wharton program. Please note that participants are responsible for any fees not covered by the VA, and these fees are payable upon receipt of invoice. Please contact Minita Ford, School Certifying Official, at 215-898-5737 or to request a financial breakdown.

“GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at