Accelerated Development for High-Potential Talents: Siam Cement Group
SCG (Thailand) Co. Ltd., one of Thailand’s largest conglomerates, is committed to the idea that organizational and employee development helps drive innovation in products, services, processes, and business models. SCG partnered with Wharton Executive Education to deliver an executive education program that would prepare high-potential talents for management roles inside the company. The program was designed to enhance participants’ ability to respond quickly to global manufacturing industry challenges like process improvement, cost management, and changing import/export regulations.
- Prepare existing leaders for general management roles
- Strengthen business skills among the company’s high-potential talents
- Provide participants with a global perspective on manufacturing industry issues
- Marry thought leadership with actionable tools that participants can take back to the office and put to work immediately
- A multi-module program delivered annually on-site at SCG headquarters in Thailand
- Cohorts of 56 high-potential middle managers, representing all lines of business and geographies
- Program and team projects focused on three key themes: learning, strategic execution, and value creation
- Team-based action learning project designed to generate innovative solutions to organizational challenges
The SCG Solution
Each Wharton Executive Education Custom engagement is designed to address a
client’s specific needs and challenges. Participants in Custom programs receive tools and strategies they can use immediately for maximum impact. The following is a snapshot of the SCG program.
Key Design Elements
- One cohort of 56 high-potential leaders
- High-level sponsorship by the CEO and executive advisors
- Focus on real-world business issues
- Wharton faculty work closely with SCG advisors to design content for each
- Participants spend several months collaborating on an action learning project that results in an innovative solution to an organizational challenge
- One-month residential module
- Participants come together to learn from Wharton’s world-class faculty,
stretching and exercising new skills as part of a peer team
- Innovative learning methods
- Program content is focused around a business case that exemplifies
- Simulated business competition ties together all the threads and tools
of the program
- Materials are delivered digitally via tablet computer
- Sustained Success: The program has run successfully each year for 20 years.
- New Business: Eight new business projects are designed and managed each
year across five core businesses: SCG Chemicals, SCG Paper, SCG Cement, SCG Building Materials, and SCG Distribution.
- Cost Savings: Project solutions have generated considerable cost savings for the company.
- Business Management: By leveraging the skills acquired in the Wharton Custom program, participants contribute to the company’s growth as well as to bottomline growth inside each business unit.
- Strong Talent Pipeline: Succession planning is far easier now that SCG has a like-minded group of strategic leaders in the talent pool.
Key Session Topics
- Innovation management
- Managing technology
- Strategic marketing
- Leadership and change
- Financial management and control
- Operational excellence
- Resource management
Would you like to learn more?
To find out how Wharton Executive Education can help your company achieve its own customized solution, please contact Alyssa Greco, Associate Director, Client Relations — Custom Programs, +1.215.746.8093 or firstname.lastname@example.org.