The next generation of physician leaders needs to manage a wide variety of non-clinical responsibilities, including strategic planning, talent development, operational and financial management, quality management, population management, utilization management, and information technology. Moreover, physician leaders will need to master an enterprise-level mindset, and increase their influencing and collaboration skills.
This unique partnership between Deloitte Consulting and Wharton Executive Education represents the first time a world-class professional services firm and a top-ranked business school have created a joint program linking academic and experiential learning for physician leaders. Physician Leadership Academy is at the intersection of theory, expert research, and real-life application.
Participants will engage with a diverse and elite group, including Wharton professors, physician enterprise leaders, and Deloitte Leadership coaches.
Through a combination of in-person learning sessions, one-on-one coaching and mentoring, and peer support, physicians will receive the skills and insight they need to develop into versatile leaders.
Physician Leadership Academy consists of three in-person sessions. Divided into three modules, the program will occur over the span of 9 months.
Each module will build upon the themes of individual, organizational, and systemic leadership.
- Leading in the New World of Health Care covers the essential leadership and enterprise challenges of communication, strategy, and finance
- Building Momentum for Change addresses the patient journey and ways to build an inclusive and patient-centric culture
- Reimagining the Future of Health Care completes the curriculum with a health care business simulation and an examination of total leadership
Prior to coming to Wharton, participants in the Physician Leadership Academy will undergo a leadership evaluation. Participants will gain insight into their strengths and identify challenges and areas that need development. Participants will be assigned to and begin working with their individual leadership coach during the first in-person session in October.
The modular format and delivery of program material and exercises allows physician participants to experience a learning journey that helps them reflect on the program content and experience real-world application.
Physicians will come away with insights into their own leadership style, strengths, and development areas, and will be ready to embark on their own leadership journey with:
- The skills needed to be successful leaders for their enterprise and the broader ecosystem
- In-depth expertise on how to design and implement “next level” business strategies by optimizing financial, physical, and human resources
- The ability to drive a culture that promotes patient centricity to meet market and consumer demands
The program begins with discussions of the physicians’ desired outcomes, the changing landscape of health care, and Deloitte’s leadership framework. An illustrator joined the classroom to capture the major themes that emerged and created 8-foot posters.
See the posters »